I baked a scrumptious lemon cake to share for afternoon tea with my Great Uncle. Can you guess the secret ingredient? Twenty8 Lemon Essential Oil.
Essential oils in cooking are a great way to add flavour. It was part of my weekly rituals on the Twenty8 Health and Lifestyle Educator Program to create a food recipe unique to you using an essential oil. I am going to share my recipe with you.
- 125g butter
- 1/2 cup rapadura sugar
- 4 drops of Twenty8 Lemon Essential Oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup of milk equivalent (milk, buttermilk, whey I have tried, yet to try coconut or nut milk)
- 2 cups of flour (I use either Changing Habits Emmer wheat or wholemeal spelt flour)
- Preheat oven to 180C / 160C fan-forced. Grease deep 19cm square cake pan; line base and sides with baking paper
- Beat butter, lemon essential oil and rapadura sugar until light and fluffy
- Beat in eggs, one at a time. If you add to quickly you end up with a sloppy, eggy cake.
- Stir in milk and flour, don’t over-mix. Pour into cake pan
- Bake cake for about 1 hour
- Stand cake in pan for 5 minutes; Serve warm